EFSA TRAINEESHIPS CALL 2023
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), based in Parma, Italy is opening positions for Trainees (All Units and Departments) Please send us your application by 15 May 2023 at 23.59 (Local time, GMT +1) https://careers.efsa.europa.eu/jobs/efsa-traineeships-call-2023-346
IS THIS TRAINEESHIP FOR YOU
Are you a young professional looking for a challenging experience in a stimulating, dynamic and multicultural working environment? Are you curious to explore a career path within an European Agency and contribute to the creation of a more sustainable and safe food system within the European Union?
Then look no further and apply for a 12 month-traineeship at European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)!
EFSA Traineeship Programme offers you a unique opportunity to join a team of professionals from all over the world working together in an international and multicultural environment on Science, Safe Food and Sustainability projects at the heart of European Food Safety activities. We are looking forward to welcoming motivated young talents from different academic and professional backgrounds (scientists, communication and legal professionals, IT experts, etc.).
At EFSA, your ideas, skills and knowledge will be put at the centre of a collaborative working environment and allow you to have an impact and influence food safety of millions of citizens.
Our mission is safety in the food chain from farm to fork. Apply today to be part of this mission!
Your key objectives
Under the supervision of your traineeship adviser within the assigned Unit, you will have the opportunity to:
- Get a first-hand experience into the work of an European Union (EU) Agency, developing new competencies and skills in line with your personal interests and career goals;
- Contribute to the Unit agenda by supporting in drafting documents and reports, analysing data, handling scientific and/or administrative tasks, and ensuring prompt communication of outcomes;
- Contribute to inspiring projects and specific activities with innovative ideas and solutions;
- Contribute to the planning and monitoring of the Unit’s activities;
- Grow through on-the-job learning and participate in various development initiatives.
WHAT CAN WE OFFER YOU
ONE YEAR | ALL-ROUND EXPERIENCE
EFSA Traineeship programme lasts for up to 12 months and offers you:
- A unique professional experience as part of a team of scientists and business professionals from all over the world, working together on inspiring projects and various tasks in an international, multicultural, and friendly environment;
- An opportunity to get a taste of what an EU career is all about for an extended period (12 months) and experience that can act as a springboard for a number of career paths;
- Exposure to different areas and networks in EFSA, while developing personal and professional competencies;
- A mentoring/advising relationship: as a trainee you will have an adviser who will be your main point of contact and will be responsible for the overall coordination of your traineeship;
- A modern working environment with flexible working arrangements to help balance professional and personal lives: besides working in EFSA’s modern headquarter located in the heart of Parma, as an EFSA trainee you are also offered the possibility to telework up to 60% per week from the distance reachable to Parma within approximately 3 hours. Such conditions will allow you to enjoy working not only from home, but also from the Dolomite Mountains or the Ligurian Sea coast, etc.;
- A monthly grant of €1,463.
For more information on benefits and working conditions please consult the 'Administrative Act concerning the Traineeship in EFSA'.
You will play an active role in an organisation that makes a difference to the lives of 445 million EU citizens.
You will also be part of a great network. Every year, we select around 100 trainees who join EFSA to work with more than 550 staff members as well as highly qualified and independent scientific experts engaged in our Scientific Committees and Panels as well as Working Groups.
EFSA’s standards and values are driven by ethics and integrity and all staff is expected to act in a manner consistent with its principles, including fairness, transparency and impartiality in work practices and conduct towards other people.
EFSA welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates, irrespective of sex, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic or social origin, disability, religion, belief, or from disadvantaged backgrounds.
All EFSA staff is committed to create an open and inclusive environment. You will be joining EFSA at an exciting time as we are implementing the EFSA Strategy 2027, aligned with the Transparency Regulation, which increased EFSA’s responsibilities towards EU citizens.
The following are the objectives of the Strategy 2027:
- Deliver trustworthy scientific advice and communication of risks from farm to fork.
- Ensure preparedness for future risk analysis needs.
- Empower people and ensure organisational agility.
To find out more about EFSA, visit us at www.efsa.europa.eu.
Life in Parma
In the heart of the so-called Food Valley because of its world-known culinary traditions and food industry, Parma, named also as an UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) Creative City of Gastronomy, is a lively city of around 200.000 inhabitants located in the northern part of the Emilia-Romagna region, between the river Po valley, the Tuscan-Emilian Apennines and the coast of the Liguria region.
The city is strategically located between major cities like Milano and Bologna and within reachable distance from places of industrial, touristic and cultural relevance. Parma is a culturally rich city with architecture from different periods, renown museums and several medieval castles. Ranked as one of the most liveable cities in Italy, a human centred, walkable, cyclable and pleasant town to live in, with a focus on public spaces, green areas and pedestrianisation, Parma and the Emilia-Romagna region can offer a high quality of life ensuring good living standards.
As an EFSA trainee, you will be part of a lively and energetic team of young people organising many different social and cultural activities.
EFSA applies a policy of equal opportunities and does not discriminate on any ground. The selection is based on the comparison between eligibility criteria and candidates’ competencies, with due regard to a balance of nationality and gender.
The Traineeship call is open to both EU and non-EU candidates. Should they be selected, non-EU candidates will have to obtain a relevant VISA prior to the start of their traineeship at EFSA.
A Trainee position is offered based on EFSA business needs and budget availability. Steps of the selection procedure
- Candidates apply electronically via the online recruitment tool (selecting 2 areas of interest in order of their preferences). Candidates can update or withdraw their applications at any time until the closure of the Call.
- Applications are screened against the eligibility criteria defined in the Traineeship Call.
- Eligible candidates will be screened by EFSA's Units, considering the candidates' preferences indicated in the application and their competencies. EFSA may also use online tools to assess specific skills of the eligible candidates.
- Shortlisted candidates are required to undergo a further assessment (e.g. telephone/online interview, recorded video interview, online written test) to evaluate their suitability for a role and discuss mutual expectations.
- As a result of the previous assessment, candidates can be selected, rejected, or placed in a reserve list for future positions.
- Successful candidates will receive a Traineeship offer, stating a starting date, a Unit they will be placed in, the duration of the traineeship up to 12 months and the list of documents to be submitted before the starting date.
EFSA plans to welcome trainees from October to December 2023, according to availability and business needs.
Please note that EFSA Units can contact trainees placed in a reserve list at any time during the traineeship period, either due to last minute withdrawal of a candidate or early termination of the traineeship.
If you have any questions regarding this call, please contact us at email@example.com.
WHAT ARE THE SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
You must satisfy the following requirements on the closing date for your application submission:
I. Eligibility criteria
- Have already obtained a university degree of at least 3 years by the closing date of application;
- Have a good knowledge of English (minimum level: B2 according to CEFR);
- Have never been an EFSA trainee or employed by EFSA in any capacity, receiving any sort of remuneration;
- Meet the character requirements needed for the duties involved (e.g. a sworn affidavit to the effect that you have no criminal record).
II. Selection criteria
a) Experience and Knowledge
Knowledge of/ or experience in an area relating to the activities of EFSA.
- Work with others: work confidently within a group and contribute to achieving common goals; understand own role and how it supports the team and the organisation; be able to cooperate, listen actively, manage conflicts and motivate colleagues.
- Plan and measure for results: set ambitious goals and create plans to achieve them.
- Manage projects: ability to manage time, resources, and information in an effective manner to meet expected project results.
- Demonstrate political savvy and strategic agility: ability to look beyond the current situation and visualise what the future can bring, able to think in a creative and innovative way.
- Communication in English: ability to effectively communicate in English.
Only applications for published vacancies submitted via the online tool are considered. Applications by email are not accepted. In case you encounter technical issues while filling-in an application form or your candidate profile, please make sure you first clear the browser's history or switch browser. If problems persist, please contact EFSA Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. The service will be active Monday to Friday from 8.30 AM to 6.00 PM.